6 areas that get investors attention.
Everyone is looking for ways to bend the healthcare cost curve. I recently received something from a private equity firm looking for acquisitions. It will give you some ideas about which businesses seem to be hot.
- Claims review services, which include
- Bill auditing and review to help identify and mediate excessive charges from healthcare providers
- Subrogation services that examine healthcare claims and identify cases in which other third party payers have responsibility for paying the charges
- Dependent eligibility audits in which claims are reviewed to ascertain if employees' dependents meet the necessary eligibility requirements
- On-site employer health clinics which offer employees easier access to primary and preventive care, thereby keeping them healthier and out of the hospital
- Specialized PPO or healthcare networks that enable employees to access healthcare services at discounted prices
- Specialized care management services to coordinate care for high cost / high risk employee populations
- Wellness management services that include screenings, immunizations, health risk assessments and ongoing coaching and self-management tools to help employees stay healthy
- Consumer directed healthcare tools such as health savings accounts (HSAs), consumer decision support tools, and other services that empower consumers to take greater control over healthcare decisions
I'd throw in medical travel companies like Medvoy.
If you are looking to create an innovative healthcare delivery company, think about offering ways to reduce the costs to employers desparately looking to bend the curve.