I've decided to make some changes.
Blogging is new to me and, as my friends and editors will admit, I've made a lot of mistakes. So, with a chance to wipe the slate clean in the new year, here are my biggest blogging resolutions.
1. Don't use pithy, clever, one word titles for posts that a search engine will never find.
2. Keep the length of the post right. Not too long, not too short, juuuust right.
3. Know when to comment and when to post.
4. Don't write posts like term papers. They are conversations with my online readers, not a treatise
5. Set the hook in the beginning. Each post , like your elevator pitch, has 3 parts: the hook, the meat, and the call to action.
6. Invite comments from my readers.
7. Connect the dots by using streaming services and links from other social networking sites to boost readership.
8. When an idea comes, write it down. I won't be embarrassed by a 3:52AM time stamp on the posting
9. Give my readers detail, not abstract musings or theory. They read my posts to get answers
10. Thank my readers .
I encourage your comments, appreciate your interest and look forward to our conversations in 2011 at Freelance MD.
I wish you a healthy and prosperous Happy New Year.